Saturday, 14 May 2011

DIGITAL LECTURE

Design and technology

During the Design and Technology lecture I gained inspiration from the bitmap section. We were shown various ways in which bitmap typefaces are used in the world from cross-stitch to billboards.

Definition: A bitmap is a type of graphic composed of pixels (picture element) in a grid. Each pixel or "bit" contains color information for the image. Bitmap graphics formats have a fixed resolution which means that resizing a bitmap graphic can result in distortion and jagged edges, bitmap typefaces are fonts where the letters are based on a grid. Each glyph (or letter) is made up of a series of dots or pixels that make up the shape.

I was fascinated by the way a structured base (a grid) can produce pixilated type that is simple fast and effective to achieve. I wanted to create my own bitmap image by using one of my favourite characters from the video game super Mario. I am very pleased in how it has turned out though proportions could be improved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment