Saturday, 8 January 2011

Cultivated Reflective Practice

Reflection of work is imperative to any practitioner. Constant critical analysis of work is undertaken in order to pin point how a piece of work can be improved, highlighting both positive and negative aspects.
Reflection can take several forms especially when faced with multiple challenges.  When reflecting on your work you must first observe your work and study it. Once you are satisfied with your observation you should ask yourself certain vital questions such as; What if I changed this? Which aspects of my research are useful for my design process? Why have I used this method?.

Another aspect of a reflective practitioner is realising the connections throughout the design process. The ultimate key is through trial and error, the only way to improve is through making mistakes and evaluating the good and the bad aspects of your work.

Below is a piece of work from my RVJ (project 2), which highlights the importance of Reflection in producing a successful piece of work.  Once completing my fruit and vegetable challenge chart I began to reflect on my work in order to improve and modify it. Firstly I analysed and evaluated my chart identifying that it had met the requirements of the target audience.
After reflecting on my chart I used a variety of textual approaches to help me plan the steps to improve my work. An example of this can be seen in the annotated cloud shapes and surrounding arrows. I used these annotations to highlight the most important changes and make improvements to my work so that I could achieve my aim.
If I did not apply reflective practice to my chart I would have found it difficult to highlight certain changes needed to make sure that the chart was suitable for children.
It is clear from my work below that I have preferred to reflect using mainly textual language. This can prove to be difficult when visualizing the final outcome.  The use of visual language would have allowed me to obtain a greater insight into the final appearance of my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment